Saturday 13 December 2008

Accentuate the Positive

Many of you know that my sweet little "Granny" passed away on Wednesday.  Shortly after she celebrated her 90th birthday in October of 2007, a large tumor was discovered in her stomach.  Last Thanksgiving, my dad cancelled his trip to come see us in London, because no one thought she was going to make it much longer.  The Lord blessed her with another full year of life and she died peacefully in her home surrounded by all of her children.  I can't think of a better way to go Home, myself.  


She was a remarkable lady who could always "accentuate the positive."  When I spoke with her on the phone last Sunday, you would have never even known she was sick.  She answered the phone singing and sounded as strong as ever.  She never met a stranger, loved and welcomed people from all walks of life into her family, stayed busy and active in her community, and relied on the Lord above all things.  

These past few days were very special to me not only because I was able to celebrate the life of Granny, but also because I was able to see my dad with all of his siblings in a way I just haven't ever really seen.  The reasons for that are far too complex to even begin to blog about but that is just the way it is.  However, I'm so thankful for what I witnessed these past few days and I really hope that maybe it won't have to be the last time I see it for the next 10 years.  That we'll be able to gather again, under different circumstances.  I know that Granny would love that.  

Her funeral was so different from any other I have ever been too.  All of her children spoke about her with a great sense of pride and gratitude for her.  My grandfather, who passed away in 1984, had an incredible singing voice.  Thanks to some modern technology one of his records was recorded onto a CD that was played at the service.  Who could ask for anything more complete than that at their funeral.  I know Granny was smiling alot today.

While these last few days were such a celebration of her life, I know that hard and sad times will follow in the days to come as Granny will be missed by so many.  Please keep my dad, his siblings, and the rest of the family in your prayers.  My cousin uploaded this video of Granny singing, one of her favorite things to do.  Isn't she precious?   




7 comments:

Deb said...

I am so sorry for your loss! Sending hugs to you across the miles... hearing her sing made me smile.

Gina Dankel said...

Absolutely precious. I love her singing that song. Ditto what Deb said about the hugs.

kalocke said...

What wonderful words you wrote about your Granny and her family. Is was nice hearing about all of it. We are so sorry for everyone's loss. Kathryn and Neal

Bellerive Family said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Even in your grief you have the most positive outlook. Thank you for keeping everything in perspective for the rest of us!

TeamRiss said...

Am thinking about your family and I agree with you, what a great way to go Home, surrounded by family and loved...

pkhubbard said...

Everyone loved Mabel or Granny--the song just is typical of her and her wonderful attitude! She loved life and her children!

Dena said...

i can't believe I am just now reading this. we LOVED granny, too and I'm crying to hear the news. BUT, grateful she is at peace and that you and your family are celebrating her life. Love and hugs to you all.